Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 11: Tax Me, Baby!

In a nutshell, it [tax seminar] was as exciting as shopping for antiques. Well, most of the people there were, well.. antique-looking so the logic fits.

The topics were for experienced CPAs and it was spearheaded by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (along with the local PICPA chapter) and most of the topics were highly elaborate tax circulars that repealed previous pronouncements. Apparently, I had no idea what said previous pronouncements were so just imagine me nodding my head in utter bewilderment. I was also caught off guard when I saw the Bureau’s new vision: it had the word integrity in it so I took in some time to laugh ‘internally’.

They heavily discussed:

1. The Bureau’s (RDO 113) plans for the current year;

2. A lot about the Optional Standard Deduction (OSD);

3. And other tax updates (Top 20,000 Tax Payers, Director’s Fees, Registration of Manual Books, etc).

To respect the effort the speakers put into their presentations (though one proved to be entertaining) I pretended to listen, gently shaking my head in specific instances (albeit delayed because I had to see if others were doing likewise) and slightly chuckling at their apparent struggle with some words.. err, comical retorts.

The ruse I was playing strained me so I turned to my seatmates only to find that we were all on the same playing field. At least we rightfully earned (through an extensive exertion of force) our CPE units, yes? Not bad for wee freshmen, I suppose.

TL;DR I was bored to tears.

Cheers! :D

No comments: